Welcome to our new website! Learn more →

What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

What is a Certificate of Occupancy Inspection?

The Certificate of Occupancy inspection is a visual property maintenance inspection, it includes the interior and exterior of the structure and premises. The primary focus of this inspection is on health, safety and blight. The inspector will look for such items as: paint and trim; fire protection requirements; stairs and handrails; roofs; gutters; accessory buildings; interior mechanical systems such as heat, electric and plumbing; interior and exterior structural soundness; and space requirements. This inspection process aids in bringing houses within the City of Marlin into substantial compliance with the City Codes, Building Code, Zoning Ordinance and other applicable state and local laws, ordinances and regulations.

Why do You Need a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?

The Certificate of Occupancy is the City’s assurance to a prospective buyer, current owner or tenant that the building substantially conforms to repair and maintenance standards as of the date of issuance.

When do You Need a Certificate of Occupancy? 

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for any building.  A new CO is required whenever any of the following occurs:

  1. Any new building that is constructed and will be occupied.
  2. An existing building or lease space that is remodeled or altered.
  3. Any new use, tenant or occupant is established.
  4. Any use, tenant or occupant of any tenant or lease space is changed.
  5. Any tenant “name” or ownership is changed.
  6. Any change is the use that would place the building or lease space in a difference classification.  Examples:  Garage changes to a living space; Commercial space changes to a residence; Residence changes to a home business; etc.

How to Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy

An applicant for a Certificate of Occupancy must be the owner of the property or the owner’s representative. An applicant should have the following information:

  1. The type of construction (e.g. frame, masonry, number of stories).
  2. The use of all parts of the building by story and by type of residential and/or commercial units.
  3. Other buildings on the property, such as garages or sheds.

Applications may be made in person or mailed to the Permit Clerk, City Hall, 101 Fortune St, Marlin Texas 76661 Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The application must be completely filled out, including the Building Owner section, and you must submit the associated fee, made payable to the City of Marlin. Approval must be received by the Building Official before occupancy.

Fees for a Certificate of Occupancy

Initial Fee $25.00 includes one scheduled inspection where the owner or owners agent is presentIf violations are identified, a notice will be issued with a list of the type of violations that need to comply.

Re-inspection Fee $15.00 includes a seconded scheduled inspection where the owner or owners agent is presentAny additional issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Close window