Welcome to our new website! Learn more →

Guidelines for property owners

Guidelines for Property Owners
If you are planning any kind of home remodeling project, or thinking of retaining a contractor to do work for you, please keep the following regulations in mind. The City’s guidelines are based on national standards to help ensure that repairs, additions, and alterations are done safely, whether by homeowners or contractors. If you are unsure if a permit is required, please take the time to call the Code Enforcement Department, at (254) 883-1450  ext.1022 or the Permit Office at (254) 883-1450 ext.1022, for assistance before beginning work. Fines can be issued for any work begun prior to the issuance of the permits required.

Building Permits
Building permits are needed for all repairs, additions, and alterations to properties. This includes work done to roofs, siding, windows, fences, sheds, both above and in-ground pools, driveways, driveway aprons, curbs, as well as interior projects in kitchens, bathrooms, and garages. Permits can be received from the Permit Office located at City Hall 101 Fortune Street, Marlin.

Other Permits
Permits must also be taken out for work on heating, air conditioning, and electrical systems. All plumbing projects must be done by a registered master plumber, and the plumber must apply directly for the permits required. Permits can be received from the Permit Office located at City Hall 101 Fortune Street, Marlin.

Building Codes
The current National and Local Codes adopted by the City are:
2015 International Building Code
2015 International Existing Building Code
2015 International Mechanical Code
2015 International Gas Code
2015 International Plumbing Code
2015 International Residential Code
2015 International Property Code
2015 National Electrical Code

Registration of Contractors
Contractors who work in Marlin are required to register with the City’s Permit Department and provide the Department with a certificate of insurance.

House Numbers
To help emergency services personnel quickly locate your property, City guidelines require that house numbers be posted on all residential properties. The numbers should be on the street side of your home, made of a durable, light reflecting material or color which is in contrast to the background, and be at least three inches high for residential dwellings. For non-residential properties, street numbers should be posted on both the front and back of the building and be at least five and one half inches in height.

Public Nuisances
The City often receives complaints from residents concerning excessive noise, dogs barking continually (especially at night), and pet owners who fail to clean up after their animals. These are but a few examples of a public nuisance, actions which interfere with the public welfare, health, safety or life of others. Other nuisances are storing of garbage, abandoned vehicles, appliances, furniture, tires, dilapidated structures, etc. Like most municipalities, Marlin has adopted regulations which prohibit nuisances which affect the quality of life of our residents. Please be considerate of your neighbors!

Property Maintenance
Marlin regulations require that all properties be kept in good repair. Please trim grass and weeds regularly and remember that growth in excess of twelve inches is prohibited. Trash and debris may not be stored on properties at any time. Your cooperation with these regulations will help keep Marlin a first class community for everyone who lives and works here.

Close window